No matter how the wind howls or the sea lashes, we see clear sailing ahead for our work preserving and promoting New London's maritime heritage.
None of what we do would be possible without support from like-minded individuals whose contributions keep us going every single day, week, month, and year; whether we're running a boat tour to Plum Island, or researching a manuscript in our library. By
contributing to the Society's Annual Fund, you provide the essential
day-to-day support that enables us to preserve, protect, and present New
London's maritime heritage.
Every contribution counts.
Please take a moment to make a 100% tax deductible donation to the New London Maritime Society. The New London Maritime Society
is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, tax ID #06-10866688.
New London Maritime Society (NLMS) - CUSTOM HOUSE MARITIME MUSEUM 150 Bank Street, New London, Connecticut 06320 - phone: 860-447-2501 fax: 860-447-8086
The Custom House Maritime Museum - your local, independent, community museum - open year-round - telling the stories of New London's waterfront!
AMISTAD: A True Story of Freedom
from two private collections: Jay Kane and Ed Uditis.
museum's most important artifact may well be the building, itself. Built
in 1833 as New London's U.S Custom House and designed by architect Robert Mills,
it has been the museum's home since 1983. New London's Custom House opened in 1835 -- this is its 180th anniversary.!
read more newsletters HERE
in the NEWS
In 2013, the US Postal Service made a video about New London Harbor Light. See it HERE.
Watch what we do
(below: photo Josie Islen, date TBD November, 2015)
The New London Maritime Society/Custom House Maritime Museum is made possible by generous grants from The Chester Kitchings Family Foundation, the Gilder Lehrman Institute, National Endowment for the Humanities, the Connecticut Humanities Council, Dominion Foundation, the Bodenwein Public Benevolent Foundation, Frank Loomis Palmer Fund, Community Foundation of Eastern CT, Veolia / New London Water Authority, & and by the work of dedicated volunteers, members & friends.
WHAT'S UP at the CUSTOM HOUSE ?
Our 2013-14 campaign Be Part of Something BIG, raised
nearly $200,000 in donations and lighthouse program revenues,
and an estimated $400,000+ in in-kind donations.
Be Part of Something BIG
Our 2015 Lighthouse DOCK Sponsors (as of 7.26.15)
Don and LeVon Atkins
Sandra and Lloyd Beachy
Bishop Family Living Trust
G. Thomas Couser
Capt. and Mrs. John P. Cromwell
Bruce and Ellen Cummings
Sue and Len Davis
Russ and Pauline DeMarco
Laurie and John Deredita
John P. Desjardins
Elizabeth and Anthony Enders
Jan and Larry Erhart
Paul and Timothy Foley
Sandy and Walter Friess
Karen and Frank Guidice
Mary Ellen Hanrahan
Kristen and Dawn Harkness
Joyce and Bruce Hart
Paul and Mary Illiano
Kitchings Family Foundation
Robin L. Lott
Amy Shahan Mantie
Morgan and Lisa McGinley
Frank and Linda McLaughlin
Philip and Christine Medbury
Jean and Dick Murphy
New England Science and Sailing (NESS)
Melissa and Michael Plumley
Carol and Aaron Rogovin
Daneen and Greg Roth
Jean and Steve Sigel
David and Leslie Spinelli
Gail and Bill Tubbs
Mr. Mrs. William Blunt White
We participate in the BlueStar Museums
program, providing free admission to active-duty members of the armed services and their families all year.
Congratulations to New London Maritime Society and executive director Susan Tamulevich, who received New London Elks' Citizen of the Year award on March 22, 2015.
Want to know what's up?
Sign up to receive our weekly email blasts!
For all events going on Downtown, visit the
Remember: The Custom House is available for
private rentals. NB: Per the fire marshal, our maximum occupancy is 49 people indoors and 100 people outdoors.
New London has one of the finest natural deep-water ports on the east coast. From colonial times, it was the main customs port in Connecticut. New London also has the oldest lighthouse, Harbor Light, established in 1760 under King George II. When President George Washington created the US Customs Service 226 years ago, in 1789, New London was designated the state’s sole port of entry. Over the next 100 years, the U.S. Customs Service was the primary source of funds for the entire US government, and paid for the nation's early growth and infrastructure. In New London, customs oversaw the West Indies trade and the heyday of whaling when, for several decades in the 19th century, New London was the 2nd major whaling port in the world.
The United States Revenue Cutter Service was established by an act of Congress in 1790 and served as an armed enforcement service for US Customs. It was the revenue cutter Washington that intercepted La Amistad off of Montauk, Long Island, in August 1839, and brought the ship to officials at the then-new US Customs building at New London. (La Amistad remained in New London in the care of the US Customs Service until the end of the Supreme Court trial, March 1841, at which point customs officials auctioned off the ship & contents, and La Amistad rechristened the Ion, sailed off to the south.) On 28 January 1915, the service was merged by an act of Congress with the United States Life-Saving Service to form the United States Coast Guard. Which is to say: the USCG sprang directly from US Customs.
From earliest days, the customs service also managed everything to do with aids to navigation including lighthouses. The customs official contracted to build the lighthouses & lightships, hired the lighthouse keepers, erected spindles and beacons, and purchased lantern oil & other supplies -- all of which is carefully detailed in quarterly reports back to Washington, DC - and we have many of these letters in our collections. These duties were later taken on by the United States Lighthouse Board in 1852. The US Lighthouse Service took over in 1910, which then merged with the USCG in 1939.
As we all know, the USCG maintains many lighthouses and still maintains the lights in every active US lighthouse, including the three owned by New London Maritime Society: Harbor ‘Pequot’ Light, Race Rock, and New London Ledge Lighthouse. The Maritime Society preserves the structures and provides access to the public -- our two charges from the National Park Service.
Why we're excited about USCG Summer
--and a description of the Custom House's authentic ties to the USCG, the Amistad and to Lighthouses.
New London Maritime Society - open year-round - your local, independent, community museum, telling the stories of New London's waterfront.
OPEN April through December: Tuesday through Sunday,
1 to 5 PM, / (closed Monday,) Admission $7.
150 Bank Street, New London, CT 06320 - 860-447-2501
Sign up NOW for our 2015 Summer Lighthouse Boat Tours.
April 21, 2014: We won Yankee Magazine's 'Best of New England Travel 2014' Editors' Choice for Best Lighthouse Tours
New London Light from the North East, oil on canvas, William Gooding, ca. 1909. collection Lyman Allyn Art Museum. Now on view at the Custom House Maritime Museum, New London, Connecticut.
7.10.15 We met the match for a dock at Harbor Light.
Thank you, all! Now we just have to receive the grant...
We'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile, you may still Pledge a Plank for Pequot Light. Planks cost $100 each.
Call 860-447-8700 to find out more about it.
August 6, 2015 Congratulations to US! Today, New London Maritime Society took ownership of a 3rd lighthouse: New London Ledge Light. The cake, below, is by The Cake Lady.
Sea to Table is a series of Talks & Tastings featuring local seafood growers, paired with Cooking Classes with Dinner presented by chefs Amelia Lord and Elisa Giommi, left. Participants may sign up for just the Talk or for both the Talk and the Cooking Class presentations. Sarah Malimowski of Fishers Island Oysters will be our Talk guest to discuss her family oyster farm.
Fishers Island Oysters are on the menu October 24
Harbor Lighthouse is CLOSED
We had Spanish exchange students visiting the Custom House Tuesday morning on their way to NYC. After learning about our lighthouses, they showed us pictures of their local lighthouse -- which dates back to Roman times. The students were amazed to see the actual document for Neal Armstrong, when he reentered the US from the Moon and made his US Customs declaration for 'MOON ROCK AND MOON DUST SAMPLES'.
Saturday, October 17, 2 PM,
Some of the most-evocative items at the Custom House are the deep-sea dive helmets and gear on display in the museum lobby, on loan from professional diver Jay Kane, and Ed Uditis.
On Saturday,October 17, at 2 PM,collector, dive instructor, and trustee of the Historical Diving Society, Ed Uditis,will present a talk about the history of diving paraphernalia. Free for NLMS members, $6 all others. For reservations: call 860-447-2501.